I never would have thought it possible, but denim on denim is a hot trend! It was shown on the runway a couple seasons ago, but it took some time to catch on because there is a fine line between chic and looking, um, not. I was skeptical as well, but when I saw several photos of my style icon Miranda Kerr (a model married to Orlando Bloom) wearing it, I was hooked.
I like the look for summer because there’s not quite soooo much denim when wearing the trend with shorts or a sleeveless shirt. I thought I’d show you how to wear denim on denim with a cute sleeveless top and a few different possibilities for the bottom.
Two by Vince Camuto sleeveless shirt. I like this top because it looks great by itself, but it would also look good with a T-shirt underneath. Free shipping and free returns. On sale: Was $99.00, now $59.40
Two by Vince Camuto jeans. This is a fun color and would look great with the sleeveless shirt. It’s also a good transition piece for fall when you could wear it with a light sweater or a jean jacket. Free shipping and free returns. On sale: Were $99.00, now $49.49
NYDJ cropped jeans. These cropped jeans are a good length. Any shorter and they will cut off your legs visually and make them look stumpy. NYDJ are great because they are made for a woman’s figure and are not cut too low, so they hide a tummy really well. Free shipping and free returns. On sale: Were $104.00, now $77.90
Kut From The Kloth denim shorts. These shorts are casual, but the darker wash means you could dress them up with wedges and a white jacket for a dinner out. Free shipping and free returns. $54.50
Rules for pairing denim with denim
- Wear different washes together. If you’re bottom-heavy, wear dark on the bottom and stonewashed, bleached or chambray denim on the top. If you’re top-heavy and want to camouflage, wear stonewashed or a light color on the bottom and a darker color on the top (that’s a general rule, not just for denim!).
- Pair only two items at once. Don’t wear jeans with a denim shirt and a denim vest!
- Balance the proportions. If the jeans are tight, wear a shirt that is a bit looser and vice versa (that’s another general rule).
- Don’t pair denim on denim with cowboy boots.
- Don’t tie the shirt or you’ll look like an extra from Footloose.
- Wear colored or patterned jeans with a denim shirt.
- Cute shoes, such as ballet flats or wedges, up the style quotient.
- Wear a denim shirt open with a T-shirt under it to break up the look.
- Wear a denim shirt with a full denim skirt (a la Miranda Kerr above) or shorts for a different look (the rules above still apply!).