It’s officially party season! I love going to parties in a little black dress (aka the LBD). It’s the perfect canvas for some amazing accessories. Getting it right can be confusing though. How do you pull off a look that’s a stand out, not a get out? How much is too much bling? Do you really have to follow the rule of taking off one piece of jewelry before you go out? If you question yourself when getting ready for a big party (even I do sometimes!), this post has the answers about how to accessorize a little black dress. And, I included two fab LBDs that are under $100 each!
Tips To Look Great In An LBD
- To start with, the LBD itself is important. I like one that is classic, something that Grace Kelly or Audrey Hepburn would have worn – fitted but too not tight or too short.
- The two LBDs below have shirring at the tummy that hides any bumps or lumps in that area. I love the long-sleeve one because I’m always cold but the shoulder on the sleeveless one is very chic, so I just had to include it!
- Notice how the sleeveless dress ends just below the knee, at the thinnest part of the calf and the long-sleeve dress ends just above the knee, at the thinnest part of the thigh. That creates a longer slimmer leg. Never let a dress end at the widest part of your calf!
KamaliKulture Sleeveless Dress. Free shipping and free returns. $74
KamaliKulture Long-sleeved Shirred Dress. Free shipping and free returns. $99
Tips To Accessorize An LBD
- It’s ok to wear lots of bling as long as it’s in one spot. Choose one focal point for your outfit. The Natasha Couture necklace below makes a gorgeous statement all by itself, so don’t let your earrings compete with it. Keep them simple, like the star studs below.
Natasha Couture Multi Chain Necklace. Also available in gold. Free shipping and free returns. $48
Ariella Collection Star Stud Earrings. Also available in gold. Free shipping and free returns. $18
- Buy a necklace that’s already layered for the perfect look. The Anne Klein mesh necklace below has three layers (and it’s only $34!!!!). You can also check out my post on how to layer necklaces if you want to try layering yourself.
Anne Klein Mesh Necklace. Also available in silver. Free shipping and free returns. $34
Argento Vivo Small Hoop Earrings. The simplicity of these earrings will go great with the mesh necklace above. Also available in silver. Free shipping and free returns. $68
- Matchy matchy is no longer a thing, and you can mix metals these days. The easiest way to do it is with a piece that already has mixed metals in it, such as the hammered gold and silver crystal earrings below. I paired them with a simple silver and crystal bracelet.
Adam & Martucci Drop Earrings. Free shipping and free returns. Was $135, on sale for $80.98
Vince Camuto Crystal Hinge Bangle. Also available in gold. Free shipping and free returns. Was $58, on sale for $34.80
- If you are wearing statement earrings like the Nina chandelier earrings or the Lauren Ralph Lauren earrings below, don’t wear a necklace (remember your outfit should have one focal point). Wear a simple bracelet with it instead.
Nina Chandelier Earrings. Free shipping and free returns. $75
Nadri Thin Bangle. Because it’s simple, this bracelet would look great with the earrings above. Also available in gold. Free shipping and free returns. $65
Lauren Ralph Lauren Crystal Earrings. Also available in silver. Free shipping and free returns. $40
Argento Vivo Brushed Gold Bangles. Also available in silver. Free shipping and free returns. $98
- You don’t have to keep the style of the jewelry exactly the same. The earrings below are crystals and fringe, but they’ll still look great with the silver link bracelet below because the tones match.
Vince Camuto Fringe Earrings. Also available in gold. Free shipping and free returns. $38
Nordstrom Large Link Bracelet. Also available in gold. Free shipping and free returns. $28
So, forget the rule about taking one piece of jewelry off. Instead, remember to have one focal point for the jewelry. I hope it’s clear how to accessorize a little black dress now. Let me know if you have any questions!